Tuesday 23 September 2014

Rethink that proposal/wedding song, please - Marry You by Bruno Mars


I have, in actual fact, never given Marry You by Bruno Mars much thought until today.

I mean, just listen to the song, it's catchy and it has a nice tune. 
If you just do a simple Youtube search, you'll come across tons of proposals and wedding march-ins that uses this song, so it must be a really romantic song. Right?






WRONG.


For the first time in my life, I looked at the lyrics. Like, really looked.

And to my horror, I realised what this song is really about.


It's a beautiful night ,
We're looking for something dumb to do
Hey baby
I think I want to marry you.

(Do you really wanna marry someone who goes like "Hey, I'm bored and the night is still young. Why not we get married or whatever just so we have something to do?")


Is it the look in your eyes?
Or is it these dancing shoes?
Who cares baby
I think I wanna marry you

("And like, I'm not really sure if I want to marry you, but I'm so drunk right now I can't tell if I like you or your shoes, but let's just do it anyway.")


Well I know this little chapel on the 
boulevard we can go
No one will know
Oh come on girl

("Well, you don't need anything fancy do ya? And let's keep it a secret shall we, since it's just an impulsive thing that we'll probably regret tomorrow?)



yada yada. and it goes on to this:

If we wake up and you wanna break up that's cool
No, I won't blame you
It was fun girl



You get my drift. This, my friend, so far from being a romantic song that croons about how much a guy wants to marry the girl of his dreams and make her his wife. This song is about a guy who doesn't give a hoot about the girl, he's just suggesting it because he is pissed drunk and bored and has nothing better to do.


So if you were thinking of using this song, please, start looking for a new one.





No comments:

Post a Comment